2016 Reading Resolutions

January 6, 2016

DSC00145 (2)

One of my favourite types of blog posts to read & YouTube videos to watch are the ones where my fellow book bloggers talk about their reading resolutions for the year ahead. Being a goal-setting kinda gal, I love to set myself a challenge that I can keep track of throughout the year so I’ve come up with some reading resolutions for my 2016 book consumption.

Last year I challenged myself to read 50 books within the year and tracked my progress on GoodReads. I only managed to read 39 books in the year (I put this down to general busy-ness & looooong Uni readings) but I think I can improve on this number. Game on 2016.

1. Read More Diversely
This is something I’ve already started to incorporate in my reading habits and want to remain aware of when I’m choosing which books to read. It’s really easy to get into a habit of reading the same kind of material over and over again, and subsequently hearing the same voices repeatedly. I’d really like to diversify my reading and hear from people’s voices which are more foreign to me. I want to hear from the people whose experience’s I will never experience and widen my perspective by doing so.

2. Stick to the 100 Page Rule
If I’m not loving the material and I’ve given it 100 pages, move on. I need to stop plowing ahead reading books which don’t interest me just for the sake of finishing what I’ve started.

3. Read 3 Classic Novels
My classics knowledge is pretty minimal so I’d like to rectify this by getting some classics into my reading repertoire! Any suggestions of where to start?

4. Attend More Book Launches
There are so many bookish events in Melbourne and I plan to make more use of them this year. I regularly scan The Wheeler Centre‘s event page but beyond that I’m a bit of a novice. Again, if you have any suggestions I’d love to hear from you!

5. Discover a New Author
Because new people and different voices are good for the mind.

6. Read 3 Debut Novels
I want to support new authors entering the publishing industry so this year I’d like to read at least 3 debut novels.

I’d love to hear about your reading resolutions in the comments below. Have you set yourself a reading challenge this year? To follow along with my reading challenge, add me on GoodReads or follow my Instagram page @lillytales.

Happy reading. x

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

• Reply Monthly Favourites | February – Lillytales February 27, 2016 at 7:32 am

[…] picked up Jane Austen’s classic novel Northanger Abbey from Dymocks bookshop. As part of my 2016 reading resolutions, I’ve set myself the goal of reading at least 3 classic novels. Aside from Jane Eyre, I […]

• Reply Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen – Lillytales March 19, 2016 at 9:45 am

[…] 2016 Reading Resolutions vowed to shake up my usual repertoire by including some classic novels into the mix. First up […]

• Reply Sarah May 26, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Hello! It’s Sarah – I told you I was obsessively going through your blog, I love it.
    I recommend you try Far From The Madding Crowd if you’re still looking for a good classic novel to read – I read it for the first time last year and it was hilarious. I also loved the new movie adaptation, so give that a watch after you read the book!

• Reply lillytales May 26, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Hi Sarah, thanks so much! I’m glad you’re enjoying my blog so far 🙂 I’m definitely going to get a copy and give it a go. I must be honest, my classic novel reading has come to a standstill after I read Northanger Abbey so I’m so happy to have a recommendation, thank you!

• Reply portablemagicpages December 1, 2016 at 12:37 am

Hey Kate,
    I really love your blog. I think your resolutions are great and I will just copy them for my own. I just noticed that this is a pretty late response to your post, but I will just go ahead 🙂 I live in Germany, so I’d like to suggest reading “Axotl Roadkill” by Helene Hegemann, one of the greatest contemporary German female writers I know. I loved the book, since it incorporated what I read as a queer perspective on coming-of-age in Berlin. Maybe this checks the boxes “discovering a new author” and “read more diversely”? I’m not sure if it’s been translated to English but the German version is incredible.
    Greetings from Berlin

• Reply lillytales January 12, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Hello, thanks so much for your feedback! Apologies that it has taken me a while to get back to you. I will definitely look into this book – especially as I am considering my new year’s resolutions for 2017 now! I hope you are having an amazing start to the new year. Definitely let me know of any other fab books you’re reading 🙂 Kate x